Saturday, November 05, 2005

(Ch 12 update. Some orgins)
This is a facinating inerview with Neil Gaiman. It has some good thoughts on writing and creativeness.
I was chugging along writing my book. Then I got to this point in the middle where suddenly I'm looking at one character who's in a lift, and I'm thinking, "If you go up, if you keep doing what I think you're going to do, then in two pages' time, you will get killed. And I'm not sure what that does to the book that I plotted." The thing that I thought I was writing certainly didn't have a murder in the middle. I wrote the next two pages, the murder happened, and I stopped writing the book for four months. I wanted to compost it. I tried to figure out what I was doing, and eventually I decided that I could still keep it a comedy. It was sort of figuring out that weird line between horror and comedy. I came to the conclusion that in comedy, everybody gets what they need, whereas in horror, everybody gets what they deserve. I decided that at the end of the day, I was going to give everybody what they needed.
--Neil

1 Comments:

Hey, you don't know this, but I have not been reading your novel (Sorry!) I know what you're thinking...how can she ask me to go look at her novel?

Like this!

Please go look at my novel. Please? It sucks, but it's much shorter than yours. Do you have any thoughts on it? Cheers!

- Laura

http://tohoughtonwithlove.blogspot.com

By Blogger Princess Blogonoke, at 2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

My blog about life in Japan

An explanation of the experiment

Most recently started chapter

CHAPTERS
Chapter 1
Chapter2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter16


Writing related
Neil
Jenny
Resources
Chris
Logorrhea
Litkicks
Bookblog
Other blog novels
Like Plastic
A blog about writing, and also containing my writings, most notably my next novel